"In every conceivable manner,

the family is the link to our past,

the bridge to our future"

Author: Alex Haley

January 2, 2012

July 28, 1953

Dear Mother -
This will probably be short because, as usual, I'm beat. Seems like I'm always tired.
Your letter came at a perfect time today. I had just finished being sick. Made a hog of myself with cherry stuffed doughnuts. Keep forgetting I no longer have a grade AAA digestive system.
The Japanese dr. - Dr. Fukao - pronounced foo-cow - is 2 or 3 miles away. He uses massage, electrotherapy, & some sort of suction cup dial. I'd try a witch doctor if he could help me. I even thought of hunting up a hypnotist. Am still sure I could use my left hand till they told me it was paralyzed.
Elaine is a big help. Don't see how we got along without her.
You have a lucky boss - he had the prettiest & most efficient secretary in town.
That Pan American folder took a long time to reach you - it was to have been mailed in March.
Mrs. Keller's brother's house sounds nice.
Night for now. Take care of you & write soon.

Love,
Lamb

2 comments:

  1. Is this a letter that Edith actually wrote to Dorothy? Did she actually sign it "Lamb?" I wonder because, if so, I never knew she had a pet name with her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an actually letter from your mom to your grandma. Edith signed most of her letters to her mom as Lamb and she called her parents Pootie & Bull. A lot of times instead of writing the name Lamb at the bottom of her letters, she would draw a picture of a lamb sometimes with little lambs behind her representing the kids she had at the time. She seems like such a fun character!

    ReplyDelete