"In every conceivable manner,

the family is the link to our past,

the bridge to our future"

Author: Alex Haley

March 12, 2012

March 12th, 1990

Last night I was having a hard time sleeping and so I wound up sitting in my guest room reading through Mom's old journal. It was such an emotional but healing moment to be able to sit and read her writing. In honor of her with today being her 55th birthday I thought it would be great to post her birthday entry from 1990. Here goes:

Mar. 19, 1990

It's been 2 weeks since we've all written in our journals. So much happens! I can't remember everything, but I'll try to write as much as I can.
Last Monday, the 12th was my 33rd birthday. What a nice day, too! I got an expensive pair of shoes - NIKE AIR CROSS-TRAINER II's. Paul pitched in $30, Mike $15 & Armin $18! Wow! I'm really going to do alot of running now! Then after everyone went to work & school I did my regular house cleaning for a Monday. Oakley came out at 12:00 pm & took me & Adam to lunch at the new Ponderosa Steak House.
After lunch I stayed home awhile. So far I'd gotten the tennis shoes & a West High Alumni sweatshirt. Oakley gave me a floresent green "LA GEAR" sweatshirt & a lemon pie for my birthday & my family gave me 4 of my favorite candy bars.
1)   OH HENRY
2)   TOOTSIE ROLL
3)   BABY RUTH
4)   BUTTERFINGER
(They're all good but I better be careful.)

For dinner we went to "Chick-fil-a" at the mall and saw "Look Who's Talkin" at the Mall theatre.
Then we came home & had ice cream & cake & Bob & Helena came down. They gave me a cute wooden wall hanging made out of 3 hearts & two tiny wreaths.
Armin also gave me a "UNITS" top & pants for my birthday. I can't wait to wear them. What a nice birthday. I can't wait to wear them. What a nice birthday. ALSO - Armin brought me flowers. I love them - AND HIM & MY KIDS.
Friday the girls & Adam were off for PARENT-TEACHER conference - I took them to see "All Dogs go to Heaven". Before that, in the morning I went to Ponderosa in the late morning to eat lunch with my fellow PTA members also born in March - Peggy, Me, Kathy, Glenda, Sue & I are all march babies.
For the evening Armin & I went out and saw "DAD". What a beautiful & inspiring film. I really loved it.
Saturday was our "St. Patrick's Day Farewell to Bishop & Connie" Party. It was quite nice - a little long, but nice.
Sunday Armin spoke in the Lake Ridge 10th Ward about Service. While we were gone, the kids tidied the house and fixed a delicious dinner of chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes & gravy, broccoli & cauliflower & apple juice to drink. They set the table with a flowered table cloth, our good china & silver & red linen napkins. It was so wonderful. I'm so blessed! My children are wonderful!


It was really hard to not have our annual dinner out celebrating Mom's birthday this year. I can't wait to get back home so we can all celebrate her, even if it is a little late. 
Happy Birthday Mom! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment