"In every conceivable manner,

the family is the link to our past,

the bridge to our future"

Author: Alex Haley

March 14, 2012

November 28, 1953

Dear Mother,
   Your darling Thanksgiving card came yesterday.  Thank you muchly.  Hope you had a pleasant day.  I made a hawg of myself.  You know me & turkey.  The babies did OK by themselves, too.  If Eric keeps it up, he'll be downright fat.  Like his mother.
   With Polly I only gained a total of 4 pounds.  This time, I'm gonna look like an elephant.  Incidentally, just hears from Vi & Carl Nagy.  Their 3rd child, & second son, was born Sept. 25.  They also have a daughter a month younger than Polly, & a boy about 4 or 5.
   About Elaine, so you wont be as surprised when you see her as I was - Hawaiians are almost as dark as Negroes.  She'll fadeout after a while on the mainland, though.
   Hate to ask, especially as I've had no letter yet giving your reactions to our return, but - would it be possible for us to stay with you till we find a place?  It shouldn't be long, & Elaine would be there for housework, & to care for the demons.
   It would give us a chance to get re-aquainted, & you & the babies an opportunity to get to know each other, we'd buy the groceries, watch.
   Durn it!  No candy yet.  Eric & I race to the door every day when we hear the mailman, but - no luck.  Here the mailmen use motorcycles, instead of walking.
   Have you any idea what our chances are of finding a 3 bedroom, 1 floor house - w/dining room & basement, & gas heat?  At a reasonable price, I mean.
   Bye for now - feeding time again.  Take care of yourself, & write soon.

Lotsa love,
Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment