"In every conceivable manner,

the family is the link to our past,

the bridge to our future"

Author: Alex Haley

March 14, 2012

April 30, 1953

Dear Mother -
   I was very happy to hear from you.
   The drs back thar said a consistently good climate would help me.  We had considered Australia, but hated it.  Hawaii, on the other hand is even nicer then the publicity says.
   Had I been well, we'd have come by ship. Under the circumstances, tho', & with the 2 younguns, plane seemed the logical choice.  The babies loved it - slept all the way.
   Left San Francisco about midnight.  Were due here at 9:30 or 10 AM but had to go back for repairs, & lost about 4 hours.
   Pan American gives you leis when you leave the plane - ours were baby orchids & pink carnations.  Eric ate his.
   Hospital's getting busy - the POWs released from Korea stay here first.  Did I tell you it's an Army hospital?
   You asked about Eric & Polly.  Have them boarded out at present.  Wish we could have them home with us.  Must be getting good care, though - even Eric is getting fat.  Wouldn't you know - he's my pet but as far as he's concerned he's strictly Daddy's boy.  Polly is Pappy's favorite, & she follows me all over.
   Some hospital - 9 floors, & 3 basements.
   Why don'tcha visit Hawaii?  You'd stay with us, watch.  On the weekend we'd take you for a drive over the Pali.  Beauteousful mountain scenery.  Also to the Royal Hawaiian to see their hula girls.
   Stayed at Waikiki about a week.  Nice, but sorta expensive, so we hunted up a house.  Has a nice big yard & lots of posies - poinsettias, hibiscus, ginger hibiscus, plumeria, hibiscus halekonia, hibiscus, marigolds, & star jasmine.
   They did a spinal tap last week, which showed nothing.  Ditto skull xrays.
   Have physio-therapy every day - for to stretch muscles.  On your birthday, am due for another progress checkup.
   In Occupational Therapy, I'm making plastic salad bowls on the bicycle saw, & weavin a gwen & yaller throw rug.
   Hope your b'day & Mother's Day gifts reach you on time & in good condition.
   Have a new room mate, poor thing.  Hemhorroids & diarrhea.  Some combination!
   I'm lucky - get to go home on Friday nights & come back Monday morning.
   Yesterday was our anniversary.  Pappy brought me a yaller lei, a button front dress, & a sweater & skirt!
   You didn't tell me how is my mama feeling.  Next letter, do that, huh, please?
 Lotsa love
They tell me I'll never recover completely, but I hope to fool 'em, like you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment